Outside of HRM?
Clean-up coordinators should contact their local municipality or regional Waste Reduction Coordinator (see the FAQ) for garbage disposal options. Waste management practices vary from region to region, so confirming disposal details with their local contacts is a key step to ensuring that their hard work pays off.
There are 3 options:
Pick up with household waste
Where possible, we ask that garbage and recycling be disposed of by dividing it among participants and placing it curbside with their household waste. Please note: this material will count towards the current limit of 6 garbage bags per single unit household. There is no limit for recyclables.
Pick up by municipal operations staff
Teams should contact Clean at least 2 weeks prior to their event to arrange for onsite collection of bagged waste by a municipal garbage truck. We will need the following information:
- Your team name
- Your Clean-up coordinator’s name and phone number to reach on the day of the event
- Date of clean-up
- Time garbage needs to be collected
- Location where garbage needs to be collected (provide civic address)
- Approximately how many bags you expect will need to be collected
Clean will contact Halifax to arrange to have a pick-up scheduled. We will then contact you to confirm that this has been done and provide you with a confirmation number (see the FAQ). Do not lose this number; you will need it in case you need to change the date or time of the pick-up, or in case the garbage is not collected for some reason.
Drop off at the Otter Lake landfill
Teams should contact Clean at least 2 weeks prior to their event if you would like to deliver collected garbage directly to the Otter Lake Waste Processing and Disposal Facility. The event must be registered with Clean in order for tipping fees to be waived.
We will need to collect the following information when you call:
- Your Clean-up coordinator’s name, phone number, and email.
- Date of your clean-up.
- Location of your clean-up.
- Estimated number of bags to be dropped off.
- Description of the vehicle that will be dropping the bags off.
- Licence plate #.
- Time expected for drop-off.