Summary of Position
The community partner for this Summer Student Intern position through the Clean Leadership program will be Mara Renewables Corporation, reporting to Michael Milway (Research Scientist). In this position, you will be mainly responsible for optimization of bioprocess requiring a series of batch microbial cultivations (shake flask and batch-mode bench top fermentors) using statistical experiment design methodologies. Analytical work will be required to understand the biological usage of certain nutrient components in the medium and their effects on the synthesis of products. The successful candidate needs to have some education in microbiology.
Mara Renewables Corp. (Mara) is a biotechnology company employing microalgae to produce sustainable, renewable omega-3 rich oils for the human nutrition and energy sectors. Our products offer significant environmental benefits compared to fish oil (nutritional) and fossil-based (energy) alternatives. Mara’s R&D employs a highly qualified international scientific team, which is a unique Atlantic Canadian research asset, and partners with local and national academic groups to provide biotech training and education opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Discuss with the team to develop good understanding of the basic concepts of fermentation experiments and the products of interest
• Identify and establish the right experimental design for varies parameters of interest
• Plan and conduct the designed experiment, collect samples, and analyze samples
• Work with the team to analyze all results and make suggestions to improve the parameters of interest to suit the research/commercial needs of Mara
• Report project progress at group meetings and R&D meetings by Power Point presentations
• Generate written technical reports periodically
- Basic knowledge in biology, microbiology, chemistry and physics in order to understand the terms, units, and methods used by biotechnological experiments
- Proven microbiology laboratory knowledge and skills
- Good general computer skills (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) for preparation and presentation of project progress
- Excellent organizational and record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
- Attention to detail; must be able to comply with the code of conduct and laboratory safety policies of Mara R&D
- Must be a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 30;
- Must be a full-time student and intending to return to school in fall 2020;
- Is not a member of immediate family of community partner;
- Have an aptitude for safe work practices and the ability to multi-task in a busy work environment;
- Be able to work productively as part of a team while responding to feedback;
- Demonstrated interest in future employment in the environmental or ‘green’ sector is considered an asset;
Office/laboratory. Personal protective equipment provided.
The job requires some lifting.
All applications will be assessed equally; in support of our Indigenous Leadership stream, in some cases, preference will be given to students who self-identify as Indigenous.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com